BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Sunday, July 12, 2009

Girls Camp

It's that time of year again folks! Yup, it's Stake Girls Camp. Let me catch you up on this.


Every year during the summer the Stake Young Women's (so all the girls that came to youth conference) go up to Camp Stimpson in Mt Charleston A week of about 120 teenage girls and about 36 women over the age of 25 to about 50. It's a real hoot.


So this is my third year going and I must say that as much as I love going to girls camp some of the girls there drive me up the wall!!


My first year was really good. I was Chubby Bunny. If you don't know what that game is, its where you take a bug marshmallow and you put it in your mouth and try to say "chubby bunny". You keep adding marshmallows and trying to say chubby bunny until you puke, swallow them, or spit them out. So i was at 21 marshmallows and i was up against this 4th year. So Kristi is yelling at me and i shove the 22 marshmallow in my mouth at the same time this other girl does and she just chucks them all over the place. Mind you we are standing on a huge piece of plywood in front of some bricks that are placed in the ground. So lets just say we had to get some new plywood. But our camp leader was all rude to us. The YCL's (youth camp leaders) had been stealing girls stuff and making them dance for it at opening and closing flag. So we had left like our journals and mirrors and Becca (my sister) left her medicine out in her chair. (she had a fever blister and was trying to get rid of it) So when we came back from opening flag and all of our stuff was gone we just hightailed it down to the YCL's camp and started asking for our stuff. When they said they didn't have it we just thought okay we'll just get it back at closing. So when we didn't get it back we went up to camp almost in tears. Then our camp leader came out of her tent and said "Who wants their stuff back" in like a sing-song voice. I wanted to claw her eyes out! She wasn't called for our camp leader next year.


So my second year was worse. I hate my young women's leader. Okay not hate but she gets on my nerves and she was pregnant last year for camp and we shared a camp with 2 other wards. THERE ARE 12 CAMP SITES AND WE HAD TO SHARE OURS! So there was 36 girls in 1 camp site. So the second day we were there we had a hike. The worst hike of my life. It was up a mountain for like 5 miles or something. It was 100 degrees outside, and were not allowed to wear shorts only pants. So they kept saying, "there's a waterfall at the end!" I was like okay its worth it then. Want to see the waterfall? the water was warm and it was like 7 drops like every 10 seconds. Horrible. They made up lunches before and they were all soggy from our water bottles. Not worth it. And then the leader i hate comes up to me and says Caitlin is homesick.
What would you like me to do about it?! So that night she made me give up my nice air mattress and mummy sleeping bag (which is like the best you can get cause you you tighten it around your neck then wear a binnie so your head stays warm) on the good side of the tent up against the mountain, for her small thin sleeping bag on the floor (not even a bed mat) on the bad side of the slope of the mountain. The next day she didn't feel any better. They expect us to babysit this girl who doesn't want to be there and she flat out said that to everyone. Then the last day came. It was great i was finally leaving camp. to get down to where all the cars are parked is like a 20 minute walk downhill and about a 5 minute drive. So one of the other wards leader said "all the girls have to walk down the hill and the leaders will take the 2 cars." So we have to hike up the hill to go down the hill. So were like half a mile down the hill when the leaders drive up to us and say "WALK FASTER!" and drive away. So a truck was coming and it had some steps on the outside and the tail gate was up. So we asked if we could hang onto the car as it drove down. So about five minutes later we pull into the lot and the leaders yell at us for bothering these people. Worst year ever.
So Camp is next week and I'm excited because my whole family is going. Cancer free dad and camp hating mother Included. My friend's mom is camp leader this year and her husband owns a Bajio in town (BETTER THAN CAFE RIO!) and he is bringing some up. I think this year will be good. I hope.

2 Thoughts:

Mary said...

120 teenage girls on a 100+ degree desert mountain? Sounds like a recipe for disaster. Not to mention cat fights.

But I'm sure it will be better. People get easier to ignore with time.

DangDuy said...

>3< this should be fun :D